Re: [Xen-users] Debian dom0 Centos domU network xenbr0 and VNC problems

On 1-4-2011 11:40, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

It works, right? There's also virt-manager which you can use.

Well, that specific tutorial worked, yes. But that is a different method than the one described on Virtuatopia. The CentOS domU tutorial uses specialized files (vmlinuz-xen-install and initrd-xen-install). When I launch the VPS using that tutorial I get a very basic console from which I can do the installation. This doesn't work when I try to use the net install for Debian. I figure that is why I need to connect to the VNC server it has launched to continue the installation.

Tutorials for Xen is somewhat hit-and-miss. If your environment is not
exactly the same, you usually need some changes (like what the network
bridge name is).

As I mentioned in my post I already did some reading about the network problems with Debian. The "(network-script network-bridge)" line was not in the "/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp" file which I added. I can switch to the Debian network bridging method but I would like to know if I solved the problem for the time being using the fix I mention in my start post. First I just want to get an installation going using VNC.

Ouch. You just deliberately make stuff much harder for yourself.
Debian is great, but it's not exactly suitable for a "newbie" to use
as dom0. It doesn't work out the box like Centos does (for example,
the default bridge is not set up until you edit some files).

I can edit some files ;).

Definitely, create your own bridge by creating your own entry on
/etc/network/interfaces.

I will do some reading on this topic and try to get it working. I read somewhere in the archives of this mailing list that Xen will be switching to native Debian network bridging in the future.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, better stick to Centos dom0
and it's stock Xen. Really.
Then you can try compiling your own version of Xen and dom0 kernel.
After that, you can pretty much use any distro you want as base.

I prefer Debian and have been using it for a couple of years for other purposes. I have some spare time at the moment (lost my job) so I'm willing and ready to learn. But I can give CentOS another try. However, please note that I could also not connect to the VNC server using CentOS as dom0. I will test it again today.

--
With kind regards,

Hans Vos