Re: [Xen-users] Debian dom0 Centos domU network xenbr0 and VNC problems

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Hans Vos <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I prefer Debian and have been using it for a couple of years for other
> purposes. I have some spare time at the moment (lost my job) so I'm willing
> and ready to learn. But I can give CentOS another try. However, please note
> that I could also not connect to the VNC server using CentOS as dom0. I will
> test it again today.

When you do the test:
- use Centos bundled Xen (do NOT compile anything yourself or install
third-party xen packages at this point)
- use a client capable of X forwarding (using most linux distros
should work, but when you use Windows get a client that supports ssh X
forwarding, like putty + Xming)
- install Centos domU with virt-manager. Forget all other tutorials,
just follow the point-and-click interface of virt-manager.

You'd get a working Centos domU, with vfb (graphic) console accessible
either using virt-manager/virt-viewer or normal vnc client. Once you
get THAT working, get the resulting config file (/etc/xen/*) and start
playing from there.

FWIW, this generic config file SHOULD allow you to install PV domU on
any dom0 distro, with vnc access (it will use first available port,
provided you know enough to alter environment-specific settings (like
the name of the bridge)

#===========================
memory = "1000"

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:BD:96:42, bridge=br0, vifname=u-e0' ]
disk =  [
        'tap:aio:/vm/ubuntu/xvda,xvda,w',
        ]

vcpus=1

kernel = "/vm/install/ubuntu/vmlinuz"
ramdisk = "/vm/install/ubuntu/initrd.gz"
#bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"

vfb=[ "type=vnc,vncunused=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0" ]

Also note that AFAIK Debian's bundled Xen is "broken" (i.e. it doesn't
support tap:aio by default, so you're stuck with file:/ or recompile
your own Xen/dom0 kernel)

--
Fajar