Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, multiple network interfaces, network-bridge failing to create multiple bridges

Hi,

The Xen networking article is very out of date, one of the reasons I
wish to write a new one to better reflect the state of virtual
networking with Xen

In terms of pairs of network adapters, yes this still holds true.
Within the Xen dom0 a virtual "vif" (virtual interface) is created for
each network device within each domU.
As such the devices are paired in a fashion similar to this:

dom0 vif1.0 -> dom1 eth0
dom0 vif4.3 -> dom4 eth3

Working with VLANs is somewhat less trivial. You do however have a
number of options.
First is creating each of the VLAN attached sub interfaces in dom0 and
creating a bridge for each, followed by attaching VMs using the
bridging scripts.
ie.
vconfig add eth0 5
brctl add xenbr0
brctl addif xenbr0 eth0.5

The second however I highly recommend which is utilising Open vSwitch,
which can tag packets with VLANs along with a number of other very
powerful things. Powered by the OpenFlow syntax it puts you in
complete control of your virtual networking infrastructure.

Kind regards,
Joseph.
Founder | Director
Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56