Re: [Xen-users] Finally cracked the mystery of motherboards with Vt-d support

  • To: toth@xxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Claudiu CurcÄ <alexstrasza2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 14:08:37 +0300
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 May 2011 04:13:34 -0700

2011/5/20 "Mgr. Åimon TÃth" <toth@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Well, desktop boards will always be inferior in terms of performance
>> and features, compared to server boards, so it's not something
>> surprising that only a handful of them support this tech. Desktop
>> boards have low-cost as target rather than features for the
>> enthusiastic power user. That's why I suggested it, because I'm using
>> it in my own desktop computer.
>
> The problem is that Xeons are totally useless on workstations. Core i7
> processors have ton more features and are much more suited for this
> environment.

Sorry, but that's just FUD... Recent Xeons and i7s are quite close in
terms of performance. The only major differences is that Xeons have 2
QPI buses in order to accomodate dual-processor setups and have ECC
support, while the only place where i7 really shines compared to Xeon
is TurboBoost, especially when activated on all 4 cores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

However, I can understand that the price difference might be a
definitive factor in your choice... as ECC ram and the CPUs themselves
are quite pricey.