Re: [Xen-users] Disk Usages

  • To: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 01:16:11 +0200
  • Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:18:43 -0700

Hi,

2011/6/16 Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> https://bitbucket.org/darkfader/black-magic/src/d14a84157990/usr/local/bin/blksched
>> a test run in this situation and let me know if it helps for you?

> Thanks for the tips. I discovered ionice and tried to use it. It did help,
> however maybe for only a few minutes. However, could this be because I'm
> only setting the ionice parameters for the "offending" VPS?
That sounds very strange, but normally I've been lucky and only had
medium-low load.

> Also, I was thinking of writing a script that could find the process ID of
> the blkback process so  could script this to run after DomU startup. Am I
> only the right lines here?

look in my script, it does that - at least as far as I remember.
Going to bed now ;)

But really, the point with the script was to blindly launch it if some
condition (i.e. high disk avg service time) is met.
It should get all active disk / blkdev processes.

There's a second script called cpusched that does the same clamping
for running domUs AND raises the "weight" of dom0. I have done a
little testing and while they are not perfect they seem really be able
to throttle any excessive VMs.

Flo

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and