Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] XCP network and VLAN by Open vSwitch

Dear Todd and Everyone,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Wei-Chih Chen <wcchen.tw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear George and Everyone,
>
> I've checked that script.
> It surprises me that it uses ovs-vsctl.
> I thought XAPI controls Linux bridge directly instead of using newly
> integrated ovs- commands.
> However, it seems that some of xe commands (XAPI) also use ovs- commands.

When xe uses the ovs commands it is often working with the bridge as
directly as it needs to (i.e. there are ovs commands that accomplish
the desired result).

> Therefore, some contents mentioned in this discussion list before has to be
> modified?
> 1. Original Linux network: XenCenter (GUI tool)-> xe command-> XAPI -> Linux
> Bridge or Open vSwitch (depeding on what is configured ? )
> 2. (from Todd) some vSwitch Controller (commercial from companies like
> Citrix or open source using NOX)-> OpenFlow protocol-> Open vSwitch switches
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM, George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I could not reply to all question but look to
>> the /etc/xensource/scripts/vif - it contain shell script executed by
>> xapi during vif-plug/unplug operations.
>>
>> Ð ÐÐÐ, 04/07/2011 Ð 19:05 +0800, Wei-Chih Chen ÐÐÑÐÑ:
>>
>> > Sorry that I still have many questions about network of XCP 1.0 .
>> >
>> > Can Linux Bridge and Open vSwitch coexist and work at the same time?
>> > The command "xe-switch-network-backend openvswitch" enables vSwitch.
>> > This means "just turn on vSwitch" or "turn on vSwitch and turn off
>> > Linux Bridge"?
>> >
>> > "A Ânetwork is a virtual Ethernet switch on a XenServer host."
>> > Does the virtual Ethernet switch the same as the virtual bridge
>> > created by "ovs-vsctl add-br"?
>
> It seems they are the same?

> Then the remaining managements are done through XAPI or OpenFlow (if XAPI
> does not support this configuration).
> Is the method correct?

I think this seems OK. Does the previous response that I sent answer
this question better?
Do you mean this?
"Either use the XenCenter/OpenXenManager front ends or xe command directly to manage the network.

OR

Use a commercial or open source controller that is designed to interact properly with XCP/xapi/Open vSwitch."
My current requirements are VLANs.
However, I need features of Open vSwitch in the future.
And it takes time to study OpenFlow and controllers.
Therefore, now, I plan to create networks of VLANs with Java SDK (XAPI).
In the future, open source OpenFlow controller (current choice is Beacon) is adopted in order to meet more requirements.

Thanks.

Regards,
Wayne