Re: [Xen-users] KVM vs XEN source

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 16:37:41 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:39:06 -0700

Just to add something anecdotal:

In my country, when people talk about virtualization (meaning: server
consolidation), they will talk about baremetal hypervisors, i.e.,
VMware, Hyper-V, and XenServer.

No one -- not even some IT SysAdmins I know who are rabid Linux
'evangelists' -- uses KVM.

As to why exactly, I don't know. But what I know is that in my country
it's relatively easy to find support for VMware, Hyper-V, and
XenServer. But no reputable System Integrator I know is familiar with
KVM.

When one's handling a mission-critical back-end infrastructure for a
multi-million dollar company, one wants full support (IOW, if anything
bad happens, I can whack the head of someone else).

Rgds,

On 2011-08-12, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> When I think of the Xen/KVM arguments I usually consider the architectural
>> design issues and the features and performance of the core components
>> (kernel, hypervisor).
>
> The type-1 (stand alone) architecture that Xen has is one advantage
> that makes Xen stand out. Stub domains, driver domains, and dom0
> disaggregation will not be able to be achieved (at least not to the
> same degree and not on top of a monolithic kernel like Linux) by a
> type-2 (integrated) hypervisor like KVM.
>
> Xen has always had the best mix of performance, isolation (both in
> terms of security and performance), and scalability.
>
>> Management tools are important, but not an
>> interesting point of debate to me since one technology doesn't necessarily
>> have much of an advantage over the other in that regard, and layers like
>> libvirt tend to make the tools agnostic anyway.
>
> libvirt has many limitations in comparison to the Xen API. This is
> explained in detail by Ewan Mellor here:
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenAPI. At a high level, the Xen API has a
> lot more functionality and is designed to for enterprise use.
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
> http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html