Re: [Xen-users] Re: preferred XEN dom0 OS

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 12:10:52PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Carsten Heesch <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Rudi,
> >
> >> Does anyone use XEN with Scientific Linux?
> >>
> >> What version do you run, and what's your experiences with it so far?
> >

> > Running four Scientific Linux 6.1 boxes in a heavy testing environment
> > here, with
> > Xen 4.1.1, and kernel from M A Young
> > (http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/testing/x86_64/), because his
> > kernels are by far closest to RedHat's specs.
> >
> > Works very well. No problems so far. (Scientific Linux is essentially just
> > another RHEL-clone, which gives you the option to install extra bits, but
> > by default doesn't do so.)
> >
> > As guest OS, I'm running CentOS 5.6 (PV), Scientific 6.1 (PV), FreeBSD
> > (both HVM and PV).
> >

> > Cheers
> > Carsten
> >

> I couldn't find anything on the net about M A Young, other than people
> on the list recommending his kernels, so I don't know how trustworthy
> it is.

M A Young is the Fedora Xen rpms maintainer,
working very actively on Xen for Fedora.

And his "xendom0" el6 kernels are available on xenbits:
http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/testing/

It's currently based on RHEL 6.1 kernel (kernel-2.6.32-131.12.1.el6.xendom0).

> CentOS 6 + XEN was a total mess and the CentOS crowd are very hostile
> towards supporting that combination.

Remember CentOS does not develop anything or support anything,
it's *Redhat* RHEL6 that dropped Xen dom0 support.

Then again CentOS people *are* willing to include Xen/dom0 rpms in centosplus
repository (or so).
Those rpms just needs active (co)maintainer.

> Does anyone use XEN 4.x on Debian, in production?
> how well does it work?
>

> OR, is XEN busy dying a slow death and I should rather look @ VMWare or KVM?

Xen is very actively developed, and used in multiple vendors products.

Recently Xen dom0 support was merged to upstream Linux 3.0,
and because of that upcoming Fedora 16 (developed/sponsored by Redhat)
will include Xen dom0 support again.

-- Pasi