Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen: safety concerns (Linux Dom0, Windows DomU)

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Chris Angelico <rosuav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 14:22:21 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:23:28 -0700

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Scott Damron <sdamron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are some things you should use dedicated machines for, a gateway
> is one of those things in my opinion.  Why would you run a Xen kernel
> on your gateway to the internet?  Now, I would run a base hypervisor
> and build my gateway inside of it as a guest, but not vise versa.  My
> two centavos.

Hah, you're quite right. It's not my gateway to the internet; it's a
separate router/firewall/etc for a separate wireless network on which
I put any untrusted devices. It's not of supreme importance, so I can
take it down if necessary... but I have reiplophobia. :)

Basically, it's that I'm putting the firewall on "any Linux box I
happen to have", rather than making it a dedicated computer. Plus, I
needed an excuse to go build myself a hot new computer, and telling
myself that it was time the Walled Garden project was completed was
strong impetus!

ChrisA