Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen: safety concerns (Linux Dom0, Windows DomU)

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Chris Angelico <rosuav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 16:00:10 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 23:02:22 -0700

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Drake Wilson <drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm curious why you don't just make a bitwise copy of the entire hard drive
> (or other primary storage) before doing anything.  That would be a bit
> time-consuming
> and require extra hardware, but it would seem to leave the least room for
> intractable
> stuck positions later on while being very straightforward to start with.

That would be a snapshot-in-time, which is a good thing too; what I
mean by reverting to the normal state is more along the lines of "get
me to the state where I would have been if I'd never installed Xen,
but had done all the other things I've done with this box". If I
install two applications, I normally expect to be able to deinstall
one without affecting the other. Not always possible, but that'll give
you more of an idea of what I'm thinking here.

Chris Angelico