Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen: safety concerns (Linux Dom0, Windows DomU)

Hello,

> Hi! I'm looking at installing Xen to play around with Windows as well
> as Linux, but since it's a somewhat invasive install, figured it'd be
> safer to ask some questions first.
>
> I have a Linux box that's running Ubuntu 10.10 happily as a desktop
> and router. What I'm trying to do is run Windows on it in addition,
> and have Windows have direct access to the nVidia card - which is what
> most virtualizers won't do. But above all, I want to keep the Linux
> half running. Whatever happens, this is to remain functional as the
> router. If Windows has a problem, I need to be able to restart it
> without bringing Linux down.
>
> Also, should Xen not work out, I'd like to be able to uninstall it and
> return to the clean Linux that's there now. Googling for information
> on this last point has turned up a number of people who've had no
> trouble, but also a number who did, and I'm not sure if the issues are
> self-inflicted, nor if they're only in older versions of Xen.
>
> So, in summary:
> 1) Is it safe and easy to uninstall Xen, leaving Dom0 as the only OS
> installed?

Xen desinstallation is not even needed, you can boot the system directly
on the DOM0 without XEN (standard function ot GRUB).

Windows installation should work, the direct access from Windows to the
video card is more difficult (PCI passthrough) and I didn't try it but
it should be possible.

Regards

JPP