Re: [Xen-users] Should VMs' IP addresses be on the same subnet as the Dom0 and other boxes on our LAN?

Hi Simon,

On Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:59 PM, "Simon Hobson"
<simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Does THAT make a difference ?
>
> Nope, not really as I'm assuming it's for a home setup.
> I doubt you'll be that bothered if a file takes 12 seconds to copy instead of
> 8.

Actually, for a small office.

But that's true enough.

> Don't forget that block device access also goes through Dom0, not just the
> network.

Actually, I had forgotten.  Good point.

> FYI - my plan would be :
> 1 VLAN for LAN
> 1 VLAN for outside (ie modem and PPPoE)
> 1 VLAN for public wireless
> and add an access point that supports multiple SSIDs on separate
> VLANs (which is actually quite common)
>
> Set a switch port to trunked mode, and trunk all those into your
> single NIC on teh host, and configure bridges for each VLAN. Connect
> interface(s) to DomUs as required. If using an external
> firewall/router, you'd need to trunk the relevant ports to that
> instead of/as well as Dom0 - eg Dom0 wouldn't need direct access to
> the modem.

Looking at my switch's docs and WebUI, something's not smart enough to
do all that.  Whether that's me, or the switch, is an open question.

Sticking this on my "to do" list.

I'm making progress.  Slowly.

Thanks a lot!

Greg