Re: [Xen-users] Sabayon hvm domU problems: the Windows Manager doesn't start

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I set up a Sabayon Linux domU as hvm guest and I completed the installation
> successfully. The problem is that when KDE is going to start, I see a
> blank screen.

> 3) an OpenGL-capable 3D graphics card (mostly NVIDIA, ATI, Intel, VIA)

duh :P

> I think the issue could be related to the point 3. Is it possible to
> satisfy the requirement 3 for a hvm domU guest?

Nope :)

Well, at least not without GPU passsthrough (which is ... complicated
and requires special hardware support)

Generally virtualization products don't support 3D graphics. There are
some exceptions (e.g. virtualbox, vmware workstation), but most
(inlcuding Xen) don't support it. If you want a GUI on virtual
environment you need a desktop environment which can run fine even
without 3D support

I don't know about KDE, but both gnome and unity has fallback/2D
modes, which should work either in "console" (xen-vfb) or remote
(Xrdp, NX, VNC, whatever). Using 2D desktop environment should work.

--
Fajar