Re: [Xen-users] Sabayon hvm domU problems: the Windows Manager doesn't start

On 4 November 2011 09:43, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, at least not without GPU passsthrough (which is ... complicated
> and requires special hardware support)
>
> Generally virtualization products don't support 3D graphics. There are
> some exceptions (e.g. virtualbox, vmware workstation), but most
> (inlcuding Xen) don't support it. If you want a GUI on virtual
> environment you need a desktop environment which can run fine even
> without 3D support
>
> I don't know about KDE, but both gnome and unity has fallback/2D
> modes, which should work either in "console" (xen-vfb) or remote
> (Xrdp, NX, VNC, whatever). Using 2D desktop environment should work.
Thanks a lot Fajar,

even KDE can work in 2D mode. I think this requirement is asked becouse
of Compiz, which could be set up as default in the windows manager.

Anyway, I've made another test. I've put sdl=1 and opengl=1 in the domU
configuration file and I have seen at least the splash screen of KDE. Despite
that, KDE doesn't start as well. Of course it's due to what you've explained.

Thank you very much,

--
Flavio