Re: [Xen-users] Best way to get Xen into Ubuntu Natty/64bit

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> FILE UNDER: Why people consider using Xen complicated.
>

>> SUSE might in some fashion be the best, well-rounded smarted Linux
>> distro around. It might even have working Xen. And it looks like it
>> does.
>> But it doesn't support my disk controllers  and it makes my head hurt
>> so much. :/
>>
>> This story ends with a running xenstored, unmounted xenstore
>> mountpoint and xl / xm not working.
>>
>> OpenSuse + headless xen server? Not so much.
>
> ... and that's why I still recommend good-old RHEL5 :D
>
> To be fair, opensuse might be considered bleeding-edge enough that
> some broken stuff is understandable. If you want something tested,
> RHEL5.7 or SLES11.1 might be a better choice. Those who like
> vmware-like functionality might even prefer using XenServer/XCP.
>
> My last experiment was RHEL6 + xen 4.1 from
> http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/EL6.xen/ + dom0 kernel from
> http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/testing/ . It kinda work, but an
> exsting ubuntu domU (on ext4) keep on having "ext4 journal aborted,
> error, mounting read only" (or something like that) after abnormal
> shutdown, which shouldn't happen (any journaling FS should
> be good enough to recover from a power failure-like scneario), and
> might indicate something wrong with dom0's xen-blkback module. So I
> replaced the dom0 kernel with vanilla 3.1.0 (based on modified F16's
> SRPM), and it's working as expected now.
>
> --
> Fajar

I am in the current Beta for Suse Enterprise, I am sure others on the
list are as well, it is mainly a SP to the current version 11, but it
seems they have really mucked around with the Xen portion.  I have had
10s of failures trying to setup Xen with it.  Has anyone on the list
had any luck with it, or is is a similar situation to OpenSuSE?