Re: [Xen-users] GPU pass through support for GTX 480/590

If your system supports IOMMU, you should be able to pass through the graphics card, but you will almost certainly *not* be able to use the gfx_passthrough=1 option in your config.

My experience has been limited to ATI cards recently (and intel integrated graphics, but those are fully supported), but how it's worked is that the BIOS will use the emulated Cirrus VGA adapter, and then after windows takes full control, it will start to use the passed through adapter.  There are a couple caveats here:

-I was using Windows as the domU, but I assume you are as well from the fact that you're concerned about graphics performance in an HVM
-I had to find and install drivers for the graphics card in the domU before it would actually use it
-The card was, as mentioned, ATI FirePro

As for performance, I presume you're currently interacting with the VM via VNC or SDL, and yes, you should see a huge, noticeable improvement in performance.  With the FirePro card, Windows 7 rated graphics performance at 7.1 out of 7.9, and I was able to enable Aero effects and run fairly graphics intensive HTML/JS and Flash applications via Chrome.