Re: [Xen-users] xen disk io performance

Yeah.  SSD isn't a cure-all, yet.

For what I need--high throughput on small random read requests--SSD looks like
it may be a winner.  Haven't done a lot of testing yet, though.

> This means: a high quality and application specific optimized SAS RAID
> could be significantly "faster" then many SSDs.

Sure, it's possible.  Though it can be depressingly hard to find software that
optimizes disk accesses well.  MySQL is particularly bad.  Oracle fares better.

> Another "ugly"
> point on SAN could be parallel access from other users / SAN clients to the
> same
> physical disks or even swapping onto it from the same systems.

That's a big problem with virtualization too (bringing us back on topic).  Each
host could do a good job at optimizing disk accesses.  But run them all at once
off the same SAN and you could end up with a huge mess.

-Jeff