Re: [Xen-users] xen disk io performance

use flashcache.

In my tests it works perfectly (about 15% degradation compare to fileio/wb mode for iscsi, which I accept as highest possible (but risky) storage access mode).

On 29.11.2011 18:10, Jeff Sturm wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alexandre Chapellon
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:27 AM

Le 29/11/2011 04:14, George Shuklin a Ãcrit :
"Very high" and "very slow" sounds like "i pay many buks but got small
potion".

How many IOPS postgre generates from dom0 point of view? (see
statistics in vbd/tap device in /sys). How do you did you check netapp
storage performance?
I have found I have queries that are putting the system on its knees, Some are
statistics collection and adding the right index just solved the problem. I
never looked in
/sys on dom0 to get informations about iops. Instead I used iostats in domU and
it
gave me ~ 5000 read/s when the statistic collection.
If I compare to what I see in /sys on the dom0 (looking in the stat of the dm-
block
device , not the underlying devices) I see ~ 1200 write/s and 100 read/s when
thing
are ok.
Mechanical disks are slow.  The rules for disk performance haven't really
changed due to virtualization: lots of RAM, lots of buffering.

In other words, avoid disk accesses like the plague.  Especially random I/O to
physical drives.

Solid-state storage helps, but you can often achieve the same effect with lots
of RAM, on the cheap.

I've fought similar issues on our virtualized clusters.  After many cycles of
tuning and monitoring, I came to a couple of conclusions.  One, a 16-disk
storage array isn't enough for 30 guests--despite plenty of capacity and
bandwidth, random I/O is still the problem, which can only be mitigated with
more spindles (we'd normally have at least 2 per physical host, but in our
virtual cluster we've allocated one-fourth of that).

Two, rotating media are 1970's technology, good for little more than archival,
ripe for replacement.  I'm keeping an eye on price/capacity for solid state
storage.

One little tip for Linux users:  Mount guest file systems with "noatime"
whenever you can.   You'll be glad you did.

-Jeff