Re: [Xen-users] GET IP ADDRESS VM

Hello Guys,

Am 02.12.2011 10:27, schrieb Niels Dettenbach:
> Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2011, 20:55:59 schrieb John Sherwood:
>> to set the IP, there's no way (that I'm aware of) to just the IP via config
>> or whatever, but you can mount the disk image and edit its config that way.
>>  You can also set the MAC address for the vif in config, and then add a
>> DHCP reservation for the MAC.
> hmm,
> not shure if we talk about the same issue, but (at least in Xen 3) these
> options in xen config:
>
>       ip = "1.2.3.4"
>       netmask = "255.255.255.0"
>       gateway = "1.2.3.5"
>       hostname="myguest1"
>
> or even
>
>       dhcp="dhcp"
These options are using the automated kernel configuration, which can
still be used by specifying extra="ip=..." (see kernel options manual
for the syntax of the ip parameter).
It's usually only used for root filesystem via NFS, because it's mostly
overwritten by the OS configuration.

IDK what happend to specifying vif = [ "...,ip=..." ] in the domain
configuration, maybe this option is no longer supported by xl.

However, if you want to *force* a domain to use a specific ip address,
you need to use a custom vif script with extended iptables filtering.
The best way to just set a static ip address is setting them in the
domain's operating system network configuration or with static DHCP
assignment (MAC addresses of domU can be set as a parameter to the vif).

> allows to provide a static or dynamic IP configuration into a VM / DomU by
> xen
> (but seems not provided by any guest OS).
>

> hth
> cheers,
>

> Niels.
Regards,