Re: [Xen-users] [Bulk] Re: OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On Mon December 5 2011, 5:30:39 PM, Flavio wrote:
> On 5 December 2011 17:18, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The only
> > sure pv install method for a beginner is the distro's own install
> > method. The rest of the methods require some time, effort & experience
> > to help figure out what went wrong.
>
> Yes, and actually I was using the distro's own install method to setup
> a PV domU.
No, I mean using a suse dom0 to install a suse pv domu (or a fedora dom0 to
install a fedora domu, etc.) This is because only the distro in question (suse
here) knows about the layout of their own install disk, and knows how to run
the install for you without hiccups, like this. Since you are using a gentoo
dom0, you are out of luck, trying to install a suse domu.

> > However, after the install is over, and you *want* to reboot,
> > are you saying you don't have a pv config file to xl create with?
>
> I am saying that I have a pv config file but if I answer Y to the
> reboot request at the
> end of the installation, that is very slow as you said, the domU reboots but
> the setup process start again, like if it was the first install, not
> detecting that
> it has to finish the setup which required the reboot!
> This is the config file I use to start the first install:
>
> name="OpenSuse11"
> memory=1024
> disk =
> ['phy:/dev/loop0,hdc:cdrom,r','file:/mnt/xen/vmstore/opensuse11/opensuse11.
> img,xvda,w' ]
> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:21, bridge=xenbr0' ]
> vfb = [ "type=vnc,vncunused=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,keymap=it" ]
> stdvga=1
> videoram=16
> #bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
> kernel = "/mnt/xen/kernel/opensuse/vmlinuz-xen"
> ramdisk = "/mnt/xen/kernel/opensuse/initrd-xen"
> vcpus=1
> on_reboot = 'restart'
> on_crash = 'destroy'
> #usbdevice='tablet'
> #extra = 'xencons=tty'
> extra = 'noapic ssh=1 sshpassword=lolrofl addswap=/dev/xvda2
> install=http://192.168.1.100/suse11/'
>
> Of course at http://192.168.1.100/suse11/ location the Suse DVD iso
> image is mounted as loop.
>
> Once the domU has rebooted, it asks again to ssh the domU and proceed
> with the OS installation.
> At this point I interrupt, since I don't want to perform again another
> installation over the one I've
> just done.
>
> > Then, it's *probably* as simple as removing any kernel= / ramdisk=
> > lines, and putting in a "bootloader='/usr/bin/pygrub'" line, check your
> > disk= line for correctness (no cdrom), and maybe add an extra= line.
> > (Although, there is nothing an extra= line can do that editing your
> > menu.lst can't do.)
> Of course, I've also tried to uncomment the bootloader line and comment the
> two following, but it doesn't work.
> The domU doesn't start.

Again, back to guessing here, since I don't have Gentoo: First, I don't think
the 'phy:/dev/loop0,hdc:cdrom,r' part of the disk= line is doing anything. Pv
domus don't understand cdroms. The install= line, and your loop mount of the
dvd is telling gentoo where your install media is. (Similarly, stdvga= and
videoram= are hvm options, and will be ignored.)

Here's my guess: after replacing kernel / ramdisk with bootloader, also
comment out the install= line. That's probably telling gentoo to restart. If
that doesn't work, I can't help you with this method, but I'll keep working on
the hvm to pv conversion approach.