Re: [Xen-users] vnc stops working after a while

Al 14/12/11 16:27, En/na Florian Heigl ha escrit:
2011/12/12 Jordi Moles Blanco<jordi@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi everyone,

well... it's good to know that I haven't come across some nasty and very
weird bug very difficult to reproduce.

anyway... since the last time I wrote I haven't seen this problem anymore,
as we have many machines and we don't continuously check them all. Next time
I see one VNC broken I'll try to check what you suggested.

on the other hand, I understand from Florian's words that the problem could
be a socket that remains open after a normal VNC connection. Do you think
that we could avoid rebooting the server by killing it?
How do you want to kill it? I didn't mean to imply this is something
that ends the problem.
EXCEPT if you find some workmate that still has an idling VNC terminal
OR if you can
make a stale session time out faster.

I don't know how to wipe a stale tcp session from the kernel
Killing the qemu-dm VNC server is possible (but no more VNC access after that)
If you kill, then restart it, it will not have the right options
(port, password, etc)

But maybe the newer qemu-dm versions work better with this - I don't know.
Lets find some more debug data once this happens for one of you and
then you can
contact the -devel list and try to work out a fix...

Hi,

yes, sorry, I didn't write that properly. You don't just kill an stale socket (as far as I know).

What I meant was that we may be able to check for a process that we can kill and that will hopefully free the connection.

However, I've looked into this and found out that no new xen or qemu processes are launched when a VNC connection is stablished, so I guess that this is not the way.

When the machine starts running Xen creates this kind of process:

/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm -d 146 -serial pty -domain-name server -videoram 4 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,password -vncunused -M xenpv

but when there's an open connection there are no more processes like that or that contain "xen" or "qemu" or "vnc".

Florian

Jordi Moles Blanco
Sistemes Cdmon.com