Re: [Xen-users] Error starting updated Debian servers

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Mark van Dijk <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 22/12/2011 09:57:45 Error: Starting VM 'Web Server' - Using <class
>> 'grub.GrubConf.Grub2ConfigFile'>; to parse /boot/grub/grub.cfg -
>> WARNING:root:Unknown directive load_video - WARNING:root:Unknown
>> directive terminal_output - Traceback (most recent call last): - File
>> "/usr/bin/pygrub&quot;, line 746, in ? - raise RuntimeError, "Unable
>> to find partition containing kernel"; - RuntimeError: Unable to find
>> partition containingkernel
>
> This clearly is a grub2 config, while pygrub can only parse grub 0.97
> configs.

Not strictly true.

Newer version of pygrub can parse grub2 config, but at least on some
version that I used, it has problems with nested menu.

>> This server is mission-critical, so we need it back as soon as
>> possible. Any ideas guys?
>
> Don't panic. :)

You can edit grub.cfg manually to remove the nested menus.

You can do a chroot and remove old linux-image-*, leaving only one
latest version, which should automatically remove the nested menus.

You could create old grub config file manually (since pygrub doesn't
need grub to be installed, it just reads the config file)

... or, copy the kernel and initrd to dom0 and load it from xen config
file (i.e. not using pygrub).

--
Fajar