Re: [Xen-users] graceful windows guest shutdown/restart

> Am 22.12.2011 19:00, schrieb Nathan Goulding:
>> Specifically: "One of the big problems of Windows XP under Xen is that
>> Windows Setup chokes on Xen's ACPI, and thus you have to disable ACPI for
>> Windows Setup to work."
>> Anyone know if that's still a problem?
>
> I've not found this to be a problem when running Windows Server 2008R2 (as it
> comes with SBS 2011 Standard, German); that setup runs properly, and I
> haven't seen reboot problems like you mentioned. Most probably, SBS 2011
> already comes with some form of patched Windows, so I'd take this report with
> a grain of salt.

At this point the success rate of installs is ~5% and declining as I attempt
more things for reliability. Interestingly enough, once Windows 2008 R2 is
installed it seems to work fine with the settings I have in my vm config file.
xm reboot, xm shutdown -wR, and rebooting from within the guest OS all work.
Just the install that causes a problem.

FWIW, the storage backing is iSCSI with a block-iscsi script and some
modifications to XendDomainInfo.py and qemu-dm to account for that.

Also, there seem to be myriad power control options and actions
(xen_extended_power_mgmt, xen_platform_pci, pci_power_mgmt, viridian, acpi) but
I can't seem to hit the sweet. Can someone with knowledge of Xen explain how it
handles power control and its interaction with Windows?

-Nathan