Re: [Xen-users] Cannot prevent memory reclamation from Dom0

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:02:28 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:03:51 +0000

I think I might have resolved the issue. Since I am using xl (instead of xm) to manage my VMs, I believe some of the options in xend-config.sxp, such as dom0-min-mem and enable-dom0-ballooning are not relevant. So, in order to keep the memory allocation for dom0 at a fixed value of 1024 MB, I am now doing the following:

A) Set dom0_mem=1024m in grub.conf.
B) Set autoballoon=0 in /etc/xen/xl.conf.

With these settings my dom0 is kept at a steady size of 1024 MB, and when I try to start one to many domUs, I get the expected failure from 'xl create'.

Can someone confirm if I have got this right?

Thanks.
-Anil

I am trying to set up an environment where dom0 is provided with a fixed amount of memory (say 1024 MB)  that doesn't change as new domUs are started on the host. For this purpose I have done the following:

A) Set dom0_mem=1024m in grub.conf.
B) Set dom0-min-mem to 1024 in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.
C) Set enable-dom0-ballooning to 'no' in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.

As long the memory on the host is under-committed, dom0 gets its 1024 MB (as shown by xl list). However, when I start enough domUs, I notice that some memory gets reclaimed from dom0, to satisfy the incoming domU. However, this shouldn't be happening because of (B) and (C) above.

Are the dom0-min-mem  and enable-dom0-ballooning controls broken?

I am running Xen 4.0.1 with a CentOS 2.6.32 dom0.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks.
-Anil