Re: [Xen-users] Looking for GUI tools

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:06:09 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:07:39 +0000

OpenXenManager is an open source alternative to XenCenter.  It only works
with XCP or XenServer.  AFAIK, it does not work with regular Xen.  Some of
the management apps rely on the API that XCP and XenServer use.

Cloud.com/CloudStack/OpenStack can manage XCP and XenServer.  I don't think
it can manage a normal Linux box that is simply running the Xen hypervisor.

I don't think anybody would advocate installing any of the management tools
in the dom0.  On XCP and XenServer, the dom0 is a stripped down text only
environment.

----

Cloud.com is just for XCP, right? I need an administration tool only
to manage our domU's locally, just a traditional virtualization
structure with the Xen hypervisor.

It's good to know about it anyways.

About OpenQRM, or any other application that you have to compile it
yourself and look for the libraries.. everything by hand.. it's not
good at all.

I'd probably just pay for Convirt2 but at work they don't want to pay.
They said they are tired of relying on a application with all the
consecuences.. this is an old debate.

I found this project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxenmanager/

It's in Python so I wouldn't mind to contribute, why not..

Are all these applications being installed on dom0? Wouldn't it be
better leaving dom0 without graphical interface, and having it on a
domU instead, which will communicate with dom0 to perform the
administrative tasks?

Do you guys have the management tool installed on dom0 or in a
separate machine? How would the management application communicate
with dom0? It looks like to me that the management tool should be out
of dom0, leaving dom0 as isolated and minimal as possible. I better
open a new thread with these questions.