Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] VGA passthough still not working

As has already been written before - does not work. This water in the internet a lot. If you work - help with a manual. I am from April 2011, each month make a new entry. In January, compiled nine different versions of the kernel for Xena. 3 different versions of Xena: 4.0.2rc3, 4.1.2,4.2 unstable / test them on debian and Ubuntu - not worked

TG> The thing is, you either dont need patches at all to get it to work
TG> (ATI), or you need to customize patches reflecting your individual
TG> setup (NVIDIA);

TG> To be more specific:
TG> I can confirm that passing through a ATI Card works "out of the box" -
TG> either to Windows 7 or Windows XP;
TG> In the past i had a setup running with a NVIDIA card, it only worked
TG> with special patches (the ones David packed together and offers as
TG> tarball) and - as far as i can tell - are not generaly working for all
TG> NVIDIA Cards, i.e. you have to adjust Memory-Adresses in the acpi.dst
TG> (iirc). - and even then the passed through Card worked only with
TG> Windows XP - NOT with Windows 7;

TG> Both setup have the "flaw" that they only work once - meaning you can't
TG> reboot your DomU , cause after the reboot the passed-through Card
TG> doesnt have correct 3D-Accelleration any more (was/is the case with
TG> NVIDIA and ATI, Windows XP and Windows7 )

TG> So - to summarize: It works easiest and most featureful with a ATI Card;
TG>                        It may work with patches and only with WindowsXP
TG> with an NVIDIA card

TG> To me it seems that unless someone finds an general approach to
TG> runtime-detect the NVIDIA-Secific stuff , submitting any patches may be
TG> to early, as it arouses expectations which only in some cases will be
TG> met.

TG> That said - i gladly can forward-port these old patches, if you think
TG> they are helping in any way.

TG> Greetings!
TG> Tobias

TG> Am Montag, 23. Januar 2012, 12:39:38 schrieb Ian Campbell:
??>> Please do not a) top-post or b) cross-post. The latter being aimed at
??>> whoever started this thread.
??>>
??>> On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 11:25 +0000, Sandi Romih wrote:
??>>> Yeah, I guess xen has generally been focused on the server end.
??>>
??>> Xen is focused on whatever people submit patches to do. Many of the
??>> core developers are not currently looking at VGA passthrough, we have
??>> plenty of stuff on our plates, but we are more than happy to review
??>> and accept patches to implement/improve/fix this feature if only those
??>> people who are interested in it would take the time to submit them per
??>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/SubmittingXenPatches . I'm afraid we are not
??>> going to go out hunting for patches on the Internet.
??>>
??>> David Techer recently offered to do this but perhaps he would be
??>> interested in some help from you?
??>>