De : Tobias Geiger <tobias.geiger@xxxxxxxxx>
À : xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc : Sandi Romih <romihs.forums@xxxxxxxxx>; "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>; chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Envoyé le : Lundi 23 janvier 2012 14h17
Objet : Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] VGA passthough still not working

Hello!

The thing is, you either dont need patches at all to get it to work (ATI), or
you need to customize patches reflecting your individual setup (NVIDIA);

To be more specific:
I can confirm that passing through a ATI Card works "out of the box" - either
to Windows 7 or Windows XP;
In the past i had a setup running with a NVIDIA card, it only worked with
special patches (the ones David packed together and offers as tarball) and - as
far as i can tell - are not generaly working for all NVIDIA Cards, i.e. you
have to adjust Memory-Adresses in the acpi.dst (iirc). - and even then the
passed through Card worked only with Windows XP - NOT with Windows 7;

Both setup have the "flaw" that they only work once - meaning you can't reboot
your DomU , cause after the reboot the passed-through Card doesnt have correct
3D-Accelleration any more (was/is the case with NVIDIA and ATI, Windows XP and
Windows7 )

So - to summarize: It works easiest and most featureful with a ATI Card;
                            It may work with patches and only with WindowsXP
with an NVIDIA card

To me it seems that unless someone finds an general approach to runtime-detect
the NVIDIA-Secific stuff , submitting any patches may be to early, as it arouses
expectations which only in some cases will be met.

That said - i gladly can forward-port these old patches, if you think they are
helping in any way.

Greetings!
Tobias