Re: [Xen-users] dom0 - oom-killer - memory leak somewhere ?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:32:05 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:34:06 +0000

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:09:09AM -0800, John Weekes wrote:
> Were you ever able to determine what was using the memory? I had several
> machines at the same location all enter this state this morning at the
> same time, and I can't find any clues as to what's exhausting the
> memory, just as you couldn't. The circumstances suggest that some sort
> of attack or network event was involved, but I'm not seeing significant
> traffic levels. One of the machines was brand new (very latest Xen 4.1,
> very latest xen/next-2.6.32) and had no activity otherwise. It's very
> puzzling.

Huh.   This happened to me way back in the day, but it hasn't happened for
years.

I completely disabled balooning in the dom0.   dom0_mem=1024m.
for good measure, (enable-dom0-ballooning no) in xend-config.sxp.
I give the thing a gig because, hey, ram is cheap.  I give the thing a
two gigs of swap because, hey, disk is even cheaper, but it hasn't been
used.  Back in the day, I'd give it ten, because I thought that I could
login and check things out; Nope.

But yeah;  my experience?  the dom0 balooning (and really, balooning in
general) is trouble.  I mean, if you want to baloon guests, that's fine;
if they go wonky you reboot them.   but rebooting a dom0 is so much
pain that it's got to have fixed ram.

Nearly all of my problems of this nature were a result of accidentally
causing the dom0 to baloon.

and, in your case, I'd setup a logging screen session or something and run
'top' sorted by memory use on the offending hosts.   that should give
you some idea of what's eating all the ram if it really is a runaway process.
and check your logs for the dom0 balooning.   It's on a serial console,
right?