Re: [Xen-users] Announcing XenMaster

On 13 Feb 2012, at 15:02, Todd Deshane wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> 2012/2/12 Linus van Geuns <linus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> @XenMaster: I would have expected any current Xen management
>>> front-end/framework to make use of and help advaince the libvirt
>>> project.
> <snip>
>> It totally makes sense
>> for tools that aim to manage multiple types of hypervisors or multiple
>> types of storage.
>> For a XCP frontend it makes not much sense to base it libvirt since
>> the direct XAPI access is more suited to manage SRs and other
>> specialties and XCP does already abstract all of those.
>
> Agreed. There are a lot of features that a generic tool like libvirt
> simply doesn't support (as it is a common abstraction layer) and not
> purpose-built for Xen like XAPI and libxl are.

Indeed. As we mention on our site, we chose Xen via XCP and that's it -- it
doesn't make much sense then for us to use libvirt. It may seem most things
we're currently doing can be done perfectly using libvirt, but later on we want
to get into the nitty gritty details of Xen/XCP and properly use and/or expose
them to the end-user.
Another advantage is that we can integrate our own XAPI plugins, e.g. we
currently ship a XAPI plugin to list available kernels on a Xen host.
In the long run we want to deliver a stack (Xen/XCP/XenMaster) that is tightly
connected and, well, just works.