Re: [Xen-users] Announcing XenMaster

Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

>Thank you, Jeff.  You are one of a very few voices of reason in this
>debate.
>
>Folks, if you don't like Java-based software, or have some view of why
>no one should be using Java because of what "big bad Oracle" is doing
>with the licensing of it, don't use the software.

At least this is not my position or you did not got the point about my one.
There still are good reasons why system many administrators want to avoid java
based software as far as possible.

I like Java software in a lot of scenarios - i.e. on smartphones or even in ERP
solutions - but not in a system management daemon.

What Oracle does is not my thing because i'm not related to them and Java by
specification too afaik today.

Compared to other typical solutions java vms easily are hundreds of MB large
and waste a lot of main memory too, are difficult to debug and slower then most
other stuff.

Until today Java still is not Java (means that most Java apps did behave
different on different VMs or just did not run with more or less of them and
this has to be tested in detail...) and the licensing differencies still leaded
to a non integration of Java (except the free ones) in many current
repositories what means that they have to handled partly or fully by hand
instead by the typical software management automatics / package or build
managements.

But, a point for your side - the commercial windows based management suite is
not an alternative to many of us too... Ã)

> It's that simple.
unfortunately, yes...

Anyhow, i wish you all the best and a lot of success with your project.

cheers,

Niels.
- --
Niels Dettenbach