Re: [Xen-users] Xen questions (Be kind)

On 27/02/2012 07:27 PM, Jeff Sturm wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: mywildimagination@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:mywildimagination@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 1:17 PM

I'm not talking about dom0 (Or maybe I am), I am logging into the host OS, is
this the
same as logging into the dom0 VM?

Yes.

So if I look at TOP in the host SSH login am I just looking at the resources
used by
dom0?

Correct.

What you have is a Xen hypervisor running on the bare hardware, with two
guests: A dom0 instance (which must always be running), and a domU
(unprivileged guest OS that you can start/stop as needed).  The difference
between the two guests is that the dom0 is privileged--Xen allows it to
directly access most hardware, in particular the PCI bus.  The hypervisor
itself does not provide a means for direct interactive commands, so instead
you log into dom0 to issue hypervisor commands.

The figure in this page may help to explain:
http://libvirt.org/architecture.html

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that's cleared up a lot. So I can safely say that the single VM running on this server is allocated as much resource as can be made available to it and if it needs more I need to upgrade the server?

thanks

Ben