Re: [Xen-users] 24TB redundant storage

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sergey Melnik <admin.sa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:58:34 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:59:22 +0000

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Sergey Melnik <admin.sa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello, Xen-Users.
>>
>> We are looking for a HCL-supported storage appliance, capable of
>> realtime block replication between 2 nodes
>
> Realtime replication is expensive. Make sure you REALLY need that, as
> it can double (or more) the price of your storage system, AND reduce
> your storage sync performance greatly.
>
>> and active/passive HA with
>> failover to use it with XCP.
>> Planned VMs are AD, WSUS, Mail server (exim, mysql, dovecot),
>> Asterisk, ERP, File server and so on totaling with 700 users.
>>
>> HP, Dell and NetApp look too expensive for our CEO.
>>
>> Any ideas or comments?
>
> I'd start with:
> - get oracle's quote for their unified storage appliance. Make sure
> you get the one with SSDs. It should be cheaper than netapp.
> - look into nexenta on whatever hardware they recommend (AFAIK
> supermicro or dell/HP boxes should be good)
>
> If both are still too expensive, the last path would be your own
> home-brew solution using either openindiana or linux+drbd.
>
> --
> Fajar

Fajar, thanks for pointing out Oracle Appliance. Gonna have a look at that.
I'm testing Nexentastor now, yet it fails to start or detect on my test HW.

Walter, my question is about XCP, so it it only 2 storage nodes, XCP
itself has more nodes than that.
Also we have already tested Asterisk, works fine for several month now.

Thanks

Sergey.