Re: [Xen-users] Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 16:56 +0100, cyberhawk001@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am still trying to get Xen to run on my machine. This time around i
> did the following:
>
> 1.) installed a clean Debian Squeeze
> 2.) Compiled and installed Kernel 3.3.1 (Config was setup with all
> defaults using menuconfig AND all xen options were set to Y)
> 3.) Rebooted into Kernel 3.3.1
> 4.) Upgraded to Debian Wheezy
> 5.) Setup Serial output to a second PC using null-model cable and
> added the following to /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4
> console=com1,vga"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
> 6.) Using Synaptic, installed xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64, xen-tools
> 4.2.1-1, and it installed all additional dependent packages.
>
> 7.) Added the following to /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4
> console=com1,vga"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
>
> The downside is that once i add those lines above, i can't boot back
> into the normal non-Xen kernel anymore....

Not sure what this issue is

You might have wanted to use GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE instead of
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX since the options you have used there are not going
to work with native, although I'd expect it to silently boot with no
console and then become available on the network.

> 8.) Rebooted into kernel 3.3.1 with Xen 4.1 AND recorded the trace
> log, which ended with a KERNEL PANIC

A bug was introduce into 3.1.12. A fix is in the pipeline for the next
update but in the meantime you can try reverting:

commit 73d63d038ee9f769f5e5b46792d227fe20e442c5
Author: Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Mon Mar 12 11:36:33 2012 -0700

    x86/ioapic: Add register level checks to detect bogus io-apic entries

(I don't seem to see anything newer than 3.1.10 in the git tree, how
odd)

Ian.