Re: [Xen-users] How to use lvm stripe with xen?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Henning Ryll <henning.ryll@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:32:26 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:33:27 +0000

Am Dienstag 17 April 2012, 18:56:14 schrieb Simon Hobson:

> Henning Ryll wrote:

> >I have setup xen with "Citrix Xen Server 6.0" using one hard disk with

> >only 80 GB. Everything is running fine so far.

> >Now I have added two 1TB SATA disks.

> >Since Xen uses LVM it should be possible to use these 2 disks as lvm

> >stripe for performace reasons.

> >But how to create local storage on these disks?

> >I am looking around but I can not find any samples to build al lvm stripe

> >with 'xe sr-create'. All samples are using just 1 device.

> >How to create local storage using a lvm stipe ?

> You use the LVM commands to do it - this is absolutely and completely

> nothing to do with Xen. When you have created the LVM stripe (volume

> group ?) you can create logical volumes (LVs) within it - either

> using LVM commands, or any management tool that might handle it for

> you.

> Just bear in mind that striping two disks together doubles the risk

> of failure casing data loss - you now have two disks, and failure of

> either of them will render the whole set unusable.

Ok.

I know that striping will double the risk of failure. So I have to make sure to have usable backup's.

I have done these steps with LVM now.

1. created 2 physical volumes (i.e. pv_c, pv_d) with pvcreate

2. created a volume group (i.e. vg_c_and_d) with both PV's

3. created al logical volume (i.e. lv_stripe) on top of the VG

But how's the correct syntax of 'xe sr-create' now?

xe sr-create content-type="local SR" type=lvm device-config:device=/dev/vg_c_and_d/lv_stripe shared=true name-label="Local SR"

Doing this I get a second volume group vg_xen..... !

I'm still confused.