Re: [Xen-users] What do you do for Xen 4.2?

On 15/06/12 11:54, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

On 15/06/2012 11:50, George Dunlap wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi There,

Sorry, I meant 4.1.x. Who are these vendors? Debian only seems to do 4.0.x
and CentOS and Ubuntu don't offer Xen at all..
Debian Squeeze offers 4.1, as does Ubuntu 12.04.

 -George
Well look at that!! Ubuntu does indeed seem to offer 4.1!!
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64

This means that the Xen page on the Ubuntu website is wrong!!
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen
"Ubuntu 10.04 does not come with Xen binaries so you will have to manually download and compile Xen along with a kernel that is suitable to work with Xen"
Hmm -- that will have to be changed. :-)
I just assumed that future version didn't, but clearly they do.

Is anyone aware of the Ubuntu teams commitment to Xen? I always thought that the Ubuntu folks were backing KVM...
Canonical and Ubuntu are not opposed to Xen; in fact, the Canonical team has been pretty helpful in getting XCP working as a package you can install in Ubuntu, and also fixing Xen-related kernel bugs.  KVM is just their default at the moment, and therefore the focus of their own developers.  So more of the burden of making sure things work falls on the Xen community.  Relationships with distros has been a weak point of xen.org in the past; but we're trying to address that going forward.

 -George