[Xen-users] VGA passthru troubleshooting

[This is a re-send since my last attempt seemed not to reach the list.]

I'm trying to pass an ATI graphics adapter to either a Fedora 16 or Win7
domU, but I'm having no luck and I'm hoping someone can help.

My setup:
- CPU: i7-2600
- VT-d enabled in BIOS
- ATI Radeon HD 6770
- xen-4.1.2
- dom0 kernel 3.4.3
- 'iommu=force' and xm dmesg showing I/O virtualization working
- pciback built as module
- regular PCI passthru (of an audio device) to domU working
- unbind radeon driver, assign and bind to pciback (in dom0)

I've tried assigning gfx_passthru to either 0 or 1. In both cases, the
domU appears to start without error. However, when using
"gfx_passthry=1" xm reports the domain is running, but consuming all CPU
resources and the instance seems to hang.

With "gfx_passthry=0" on a Fedora VM it boots and I can use the emulated
graphics (or ssh) to get lspci output, which shows the ATI device is
visible. However, dmesg shows the radeon driver failing to bind:

radeon 0000:00:05.0: Expecting atombios for evergreen GPU
radeon 0000:00:05.0: Fatal error during GPU init
[drm] radeon: finishing device
[TTM] Memory type 2 has not been initialized
radeon 0000:00:05.0: no bo for sa manager
vga_switcheroo: disabled
radeon: probe of 0000:00:05.0 failed with error -22

With "gfx_passthru=0" on a Win7 VM the emulated graphics shows the
swirling logo for a while, then a blue screen as the catalyst driver
tries to load before boot completes.

>From reading xen-devel and xen-users archives this situation sounds not
unlike what others have encountered, but I never saw a solution. Any
help or pointers for where I can look for troubleshooting info would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris