Re: [Xen-users] Cisco switch issue -- after Debian updates had me stumped...

Hi,

On 12/08/2012 7:32 AM, Zary Matej wrote:
>> Then I decided to pull the plug on my Cisco switch and reboot it.
>> Everything come back to normal after the switch had finished rebooting.
> Hi there, sounds like you might have port security enabled on your Cisco
> switch (eg
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/port_sec.html).
>   If you don't have MAC address in your VM config, the VM nic gets "random"
> MAC after restart (IIRC) and if you have port security on cisco switchport
> enabled, the new MAC address can errdisable that port of just don't allow the
> new MAC address depending on the switch config. Might be worth checking out
> whether this was the casue. :)

The .cfg for the VM has a permanent static MAC address, but the switch
(SGE2000P) has a section in the configuration "Bridging -> Address
Tables -> [Static|Dynamic]" ....

Both the Xen server and the VM are listed under one port (as expected)
with their MAC addresses as "Dynamic".  I've added those MAC addresses
to static in the Cisco now.  Not sure this is a good idea(tm), as I
would like to check the status if or when this happens again -- but now
it shouldn't happen again.

Thanks.

--
Kind Regards