Re: [Xen-users] SOLVED - Poor Windows 2003 + GPLPV performance compared to VMWare

On 19/09/12 19:43, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On 19/09/12 18:41, Ian Campbell wrote:

>>> Actually, the above syntax doesn't work:
>>> cpus        = [2,3,4,5]    # Which physical CPU's to allow
>>> Error: 'int' object has no attribute 'split'
>> Is it ["2","3"...] then I wonder?
I'm not sure, I won't play with it now, and I expect that it will not
make a lot of difference. In fact, I might remove all those lines
completely, and let xen organise who gets to run on which cpu. I've now
got a dedicated cpu (number 0) for the dom0, and the domU's can all
share the remaining cpu's. Of course, 99.9% of the time, there will only
be a single domU on any physical box, the other 0.1% of the time, xen
can deal with the squabling...
> I've updated to SP2, and will re-test in the next few hours,

Excellent news, the issue is completely resolved, and in fact,
performance is now better than vmware, and better than the old original
physical box pre-virtualisation. The entire task now completed in 30
minutes, the previous best was 40 minutes (ie, prior to xen).

I made note before that I was getting around 2500 transactions / sec,
and this was too slow, just now, I'm getting around 7900 transactions /
sec. The only change was the installation of Windows 2003 Service Pack 2.

So, thank you so much to everyone that made suggestions, or discussed
different aspects of the system. Hopefully this will assist someone else
now or in the future, to ensure they have SP2 installed or suffer the
horrible performance.

Regards,
Adam

--