Re: [Xen-users] Recommendations for Virtulization Hardware

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ShadesOfGrey <shades_of_grey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:44:52 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 03:46:03 +0000

Sorry for the late response, I've had a lot to digest.

On 09/20/2012 05:53 PM, Alex Williamson wrote:

There have been a couple success reports of using AMD/ATI graphics cards
on Intel VT-d systems with KVM device assignment.  Nvidia cards have not
met with the same degree of success.  In both our cases, the graphics
device was assigned to a Windows guest as a secondary graphics head.
For me, Windows took over the assigned device as the primary graphics,
disabling the emulated graphics.  For my slow HD 5450, 3dMark seems to
get a similar score to what others see on bare metal.

Graphics device assignment on KVM is getting better, but should be
considered experimental at best.  Thanks,

Alex

I had noticed that KVM seems to be behind Xen with respect to PCI/VGA passthrough (among other things). Then again, with information generally being a bit outdated all around, I figured I should at least give KVM a shot. Worst case scenario, I'd try KVM and Xen (or some other Hypervisor) and both fail to offer what I want. My contingency plan is to build a modest second box. Best case, both work and it's just a question of choosing which Hypervisor best fits. In any case, I plan on keeping an eye on both as they develop.