Re: [Xen-users] Recommendations for Virtulization Hardware

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ShadesOfGrey <shades_of_grey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:43:48 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 03:45:00 +0000

Sorry for the late response, I've had a lot to digest.

On 09/20/2012 05:33 PM, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
Hi,

Just a Xen newbie myself, but from what i've gathered and fiddled, Xen
(P)VMs don't come with a graphics card. You'd have to remote to your
Windows HVM to play games. You can fiddle with PCI pass through for
some video cards and there's some VGA passtrough as well, but i don't
think running a recent game on a VM would provide good results (i'm
thinking FPSs here, not solitaire or simcity).

As for hardware i considered an ATI/Asus board with a Phenom II X6 and
16GB or DDR3 a while ago, plus box, PSU, no disks, around 500€... YMMV
and your needs as well.

Just my ill-informed 2c. HTH

Nuno

My intention was to get a discrete GPU for Windows and pass it through for gaming and use PV drivers with an integrated GPU for the other VMs.  I've seen this done in several YouTube videos (including those by Casey DeLorme ref. in this thread) and the performance seems pretty close to a stand-alone Windows install.

As much as I'd like to support the underdog, AMD's CPUs are a bit lackluster.  Given the workloads I'm looking to support, I don't think an AMD CPU will offer the requisite performance or longevity.  On the other hand, it looks like I'll save myself quite a few headaches by choosing AMD for my GPU.