Re: [Xen-users] Recommendations for Virtulization Hardware

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 17:12 -0400, ShadesOfGrey wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new personal computer.  I want it to function as
> a Linux desktop, provide network services for my home, and lastly,
> occasional Windows gaming.  From what I've gathered, virtualization
> using a Type 1 Hypervisor supporting PCI/VGA pass-through like KVM or
> Xen would be an attractive solution for my needs.  For reference,
> reading these threads on Ars Technica may be helpful to understand where
> I'm coming from,
> http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1175674 and
> http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1181867. But
> basically, I use Linux as my primary OS and would rather avoid dual
> booting or building two boxes just to play Windows games when I want to
> play Windows games.  I'm also intrigued by the concept of virtualization
> and would like to experiment with it as a solution for my case.
>
> My problem is isolating which hardware to choose, specifically which
> combination of CPU, motherboard and video card.  Previously I had been
> relying on web searches to glean information from gaming and enthusiast
> web sites and tech specs from motherboard manufacturers.  After what I
> learned during my participation in the referenced threads at Ars
> Technica, I find myself back at square one.  Instead of trying to guess
> what hardware support KVM & Xen, and vice versa.  I'd like to know what
> hardware KVM & Xen users are actually using to run KVM & Xen?
> Particularly with consideration for 3D gaming and current generation
> hardware, BTW.
>
> If there is need for further clarification, I'll answer any queries you
> might have.

There have been a couple success reports of using AMD/ATI graphics cards
on Intel VT-d systems with KVM device assignment.  Nvidia cards have not
met with the same degree of success.  In both our cases, the graphics
device was assigned to a Windows guest as a secondary graphics head.
For me, Windows took over the assigned device as the primary graphics,
disabling the emulated graphics.  For my slow HD 5450, 3dMark seems to
get a similar score to what others see on bare metal.

Graphics device assignment on KVM is getting better, but should be
considered experimental at best.  Thanks,

Alex