Re: [Xen-users] possible newbie-level question - updating kernels?

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Robert Rust <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Forgive me for asking, but I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere sifting
> though the chaff of Google and whatnot.  I'm running Xen 4.1.2 on Ubuntu
> server 12.04.1 LTS.  How do I go about updating the kernel (and perhaps more
> importantly the modules that go with it) in a DomU to match what the Dom0 is
> running?

You don't.

Or to be accurate, if you set it up correctly, domU's kernel version
can be completely different from what dom0 is running. Even different
OS (e.g. solaris).

There are many ways to load domU kernel. In the old days, domU runs
whatever dom0 is running. Currently you can let domU load its own
kernel by setting domU config file to use bootloader (pygrub), or to
use a "kernel" from dom0 that can "chainload" another kernel from domU
(pv-grub). Once you set that up, then do whatever you normally do to
update the kernel (e.g. apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade)

--
Fajar