Re: [Xen-users] xen 4.2.0, xl dmesg permission denied

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 20:10 +0100, Frank Birbacher wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I've upgraded my box from Xen 4.1.2 to Xen 4.2.0, running a Gentoo
> 64bit Dom0. Thus I built all the Xen tools and hypervisor using the Gentoo
> package manager (configured with hvm, pygrub, qemu, screen, and without
> flask, xsm, pae, xend, no custom cflags). With Xen 4.2.0 I can no longer view
> the hypervisor dmesg:
>
> dom0# xl dmesg
> libxl: error: libxl.c:4327:libxl_xen_console_read_line: reading console ring
> buffer: Permission denied

The usual reason for this is that you have a mismatched pairing of
hypervisor / tools. Check you aren't running the old tools (including
libraries) with the new hypervisor or vice versa.

One particular gotcha might be the libraries -- make sure the new ones
have been installed in the expected location and that xl is linking
against them at runtime (e.g. run with ldd).

Ian.