Re: [Xen-users] dynamic memory extension not working on Debian Squeeze

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 11:08 +0000, Peter Viskup wrote:
> On 11/14/2012 11:51 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:

> >> Sorry I was wrong - xenfs mounted on dom0 and also on domU.
> >> Server rebooted last night (6-7 hours before) - no additional
> >> installation tasks were performed.
> >> These are xen-related packages installed:
> >>
> >> ii  xen-tools
> >> 4.2-1                        Tools to manage Xen virtual servers
> >> ii  xen-utils-4.0
> >> 4.0.1-5.4                    XEN administrative tools
> >> ii  xen-utils-common
> >> 4.0.0-1                      XEN administrative tools - common files
> >> ii  xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64
> >> 4.0.1-5.4                    The Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
> >> ii  linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
> >> 2.6.26-27                    Linux 2.6.26 image on AMD64, oldstyle Xen
> >> support
> >> ii  linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> >> 2.6.32-46                    Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs, Xen dom0 support
> > What version of xenstore-utils do you have installed?
> >
> >> memory  = '256'
> >> memmax  = '4092'
> > [...]
> >
> > This is good, it *should* mean you can balloon up to 4G.
> >
> >> Command xenstore-ls still hanging.
> > Are you running this in dom0 or domU? You should run it in dom0.
> >
> > If the xenstore tools don't work in dom0 then there is a pretty big
> > problem. You could try strace'ing the client and/or daemon I suppose?
> >
> > One not uncommon problem with the C xenstored is a corrupted DB, so
> > removing /var/run/xenstored/tdb and rebooting might help. In general
> > removing this on boot (before starting the daemon) is a good idea, not
> > sure if the Debian scripts do this for you.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> I ran that xenstore command in dom0.
> These are versions of xenstore packages:
> ii  libxenstore3.0
> 4.0.1-5.4                    Xenstore communications library for Xen
> ii  xenstore-utils
> 4.0.1-5.4                    Xenstore utilities for Xen

Looks ok to me.

> Strange is that xenstore tdb file is missing:

Very odd. /var/run/xenstored was the path on my system, which I've just
remembered is running Wheezy, perhaps it was elsewhere for Squeeze?
"find /var -name tdb" might locate it. Otherweise /proc/<PID>/fds for
the daemon's PID might give a clue.

> Debian is not removing that file during the shutdown (checked
> /etc/init.d/xend).
> I also checked checksums of all files of all xen-related packages and
> all is OK.
>
> As this is production box it's hard to strace it during the office hours.
> Any way to get the xenstore tdb re-created without rebooting?

Unfortunately not.

I don't suppose you can reproduce the issue on a non-production system?
(I suspect not, it seems like the sort of oddity which has befallen just
this one system)

Ian.