Re: [Xen-users] Upgrading Guest Kernel

Hi,

If I understand your suggestions above, that means that the ISP must
make any kernel image changes?  Is there no way I can "do it myself"?

it depends whether your vm is set up to use pygrub, or not.
if it is, you can make any neccessary change within the guest, which are:
 - download/compile a kernel (or precompiled kernel image)
- move it to your boot directory, amd move the modules to their place in /lib (according to kernel version)
 - create a grub config file (/boot/grub/menu.lst)
 - create grub entries for each kernel you want to use, like the following:

title           Some Linux Kernel
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot//boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae root=/dev/xvda1
initrd          /boot/initrd.if.you.have.one

on the next reboot, you should see the pygrub boot loader menu (if you connect quick enough via vnc)

if your provider does not use pygrub, you will need to contact them to change your kernel

Must the "host" and "guest" run the same kernel version?

no, they don't

regards,
gabor

p.s.: this information is for pv guests, i'm not sure about hvm ones