Re: [Xen-users] Xen 2.x images on newer hosts

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 15:36:46 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 21:37:42 +0000

Hello

El 07/12/12 15:10, Denis Roy escribió:
This has probably been answered before, but for the life of me, I can't
find it.
Actually, yes, in a certain way.

Check this thread:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-12/msg00038.html
You even might be able to keep the image's original kernel.

I have some older Xen image files, where the image file is simply a
filesystem image:

/home/server.img: ReiserFS V3.6
Not sure is ReiserFS is supported out-of-the-box in a recent kernel. In case you decide to switch. It would probably be advisable to convert it to EXT3. You could mount the image file as loop device, copy the content (watch out permissions and ownership, use "cp -a") to another image (or even LVM volume), then alter fstab to make sure it mounts correctly.

I noticed newer Xen image files use a complete partition table and
PyGrub, which allows images to be moved from server to server.
Not a problem, there is a backward compatibility to use it "in the old way", beside setting up the image to be usable with pygrub is not a big deal.

If you go for pygrub, be sure your image is converted to ext3 and inode-size is set to 128 bytes (mkfs.ext3 default is 256 , use -I option), otherwise pygrub will not be able to read it.

My
server.img does have a /boot/grub directory with menu.lst and everything
it needs to boot.  How do I get Xen 4.x to boot it?
Check the thread I have mentioned. The rest can be probably answered by pure reference documentation. Feel free to keep asking, if not.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov