Re: [Xen-users] Xen 2.x images on newer hosts

On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 21:10 +0000, Denis Roy wrote:
> This has probably been answered before, but for the life of me, I
> can't find it.
>
> I have some older Xen image files, where the image file is simply a
> filesystem image:
>
> /home/server.img: ReiserFS V3.6
>
> I noticed newer Xen image files use a complete partition table and
> PyGrub, which allows images to be moved from server to server.

Newer Xen supports this but it is in no way a requirement, the old way,
using plain filesystem images and kernel stored in the dom0 filesystem
also continues to work.

>   My server.img does have a /boot/grub directory with menu.lst and
> everything it needs to boot.  How do I get Xen 4.x to boot it?

Pass your disk image as xvda and supply a kernel which support resierfs
using kernel = "..." and a command line containing root=/dev/xvda and
this should just work.

Or you can supply your disk image as xvda1 and use root=/dev/xvda1, it's
mostly up to you.

Ian.