Re: [Xen-users] Bridged networking example

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:56:42 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:34:29 +0000

Hello, Sven.

El 20/12/12 13:33, Sven escribió:
Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk <at> ondore.com> writes:

# brctl show
| bridge name   bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
| xenbr0        8000.**********e1       no              eth0
Where is your vif1.0? I assume your DomU ID is "1", so vif1.0 should be
attached to xenbr0. If it is non, than this might be the problem.

Yes, Dom1 has ID 1. I tried adding the interface manually with "brctl addif
xenbr0 vif1.0":

| bridge name   bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
| xenbr0        8000.**********e1       no              eth0
|                                                       vif1.0

Unfortunately, still no networking on Dom1.
This configuration should make traffic from vif1.0 to be visible on xenbr0. It should be traceable by tcpdump.

According to the docs, "xl create" should call the /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
script. However, I can rename it to vif-bridge-OFF and everything remains the
same: The vif is created but not added to the bridge. It seems the script is not
executed after all. This is in my xl.conf:

| # default vif script
| vifscript="vif-bridge"
| #vifscript="vif-route"
As I see it, you are dealing with two problems. The first is to get your DomU networking to work, the second is to make you Xen scripts to build the working configuration automatically. Normally, both problems should be closed by the same solution, but it looks like this is not the case. Probably it's good idea to get the concept working first, then see what's wrong with xl and why it can't reproduce the working configuration.

Is **.**.97.65 reachable/pingable from DomU? I guess it's reachable from
Dom0, since it is Dom0's gateway.

Nope, I can't ping the gateway.

Another relevant test would be to test connectivity between DomU and Dom0. If you where affected by some restriction outside of your box, this test would reveal it. Ping from DomU to Dom0 don't have to leave the bridge.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov