Re: [Xen-users] Failure in creating PV guest VM

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 23:37:09 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 05:38:43 +0000

Hello.

El 03/01/13 15:10, Jihed M'selmi escribió:
I copied the content of the config file inthe original post (see
attached the one I am using now)
As I can see, indeed it's the same config.
Well, I still recommend to configure it so xend does not attempt to respawn crashed DomU. That is clearly not the main problem you are facing, but would be a much cleaner way to do things.

this is  a piece from xend.log:
[...]
[2013-01-03 21:17:42 11357] WARNING (XendDomainInfo:2062) Domain has
crashed: name=ubuntu id=21.
This must be something internal to DomU. Probably a wrong kernel or missconfiguration. Your config file has much less options than a regular one (mine are created by custom template for xen-tools), but I can't tell about which is the critical one.

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/
The same mirror where you got your vmlinuz and initrd.gz, has a file xm-debian.cfg. It has a brief instruction in the header. Never used it that way, but looks promising. Maybe you should try to stick to those instructions. My python is poor, but it does not look like running the debian-installer within the DomU.

Another good thing to look at:
run "xl create ..." without -f option. Does it complain, about what?
Try -v option for "xl", it might give some useful output also.

If you insist in using the regular debian-installer (can't think of a good reason, but hopefully you have one) and don't get xm-debian.cfg to work, I may suggest deploying a HVM DomU (it even can boot from PXE) and then convert it to PV. Although, I think using xen-tools is a much easer and faster way.

Greetings.