Re: [Xen-users] Max hard disks supported by XCP 1.6

On 16/01/13 09:49, Mario Giammarco wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to use nas4free under xcp 1.6.
> I install it under full HVM using "other install media".
> Now I am attaching 4 hdds as external disks.
> The vm sees at most two hdds, I suppose because of bios
> support (1 boot + 1 cdrom + 2 hdds= 4 hdds).
>
> I need to use more disks, is it possible?
>
> If not, it seems to me a serious limit.

The default IDE device emulated is a PIIX3, which supports up to four
IDE devices. Since NAS4Free is based on FreeBSD, I think you could
recompile a custom kernel with the PVHVM config file, in order to use PV
drivers for IO, which will improve performance and allow you to use more
than 4 disk devices. This blog post may be of help:

http://dave.recoil.org/blog/posts/2011-06-11-freebsd-xenhvm/